Friday 10 May 2013

Open Day at Campus


I am glad to have a brochure in my hand tomorrow.

Tomorrow - open day at the Pietermaritzburg Campus, University of KwaZulu-Natal! I volunteered to go there together with Xolani. It’s only for one hour. After that two other colleagues will come. But still: will I manage?


The event is organized for grade 11 and grade 12 students. They come to our campus for an orientation. Xolani and I will answer questions about the course that our school offers for 2014. Our School is the School of Religion, Philosophy and Classics. I think I can answer questions about the BTh (Bachelor of Theology). I guess I could come up with something about other disciplines like classics and ethics. Even philosophy would be in my reach. But Cognitive Science? I didn’t even know that there is such a discipline. In the brochure it is explained like this:
Cognitive Science is the name for a coalition of separate disciplines that together attempts to understand the nature of information processing in human and other systems. Traditional core disciplines in cognitive science include computer science, linguistics, psychology and philosophy.
I understand the idea but what kind of modules are offered? What do you become after having obtained a BA in Cognitive Science?

Other questions I don’t want to get is about application requirements. There is some information in the folder but if the students have more question? How is the South African Secondary School organized? Fortunately the students themselves are still at high school, so they will probably know.

Then we have merits, credits, clusters, semesters, majors, electives etc. The terminology is partly still new to me. I am so glad that Xolani is there with me. He is South African. He’s been a staff member at least a couple of years. I will contribute with my presence and I will try to look friendly. The interacting-with-young-people-thing I think I can managed quite well. And so I will probably learn a great deal myself.

2 comments:

Gerthie said...

Fick du några besvärliga frågor?

Anders Göranzon said...

Jag ska återkomma till det i nästa bloggpost!