Monday 1 December 2014

SACC renewal event

A few days ago a re-launch of the South African Council of Churches (SACC) was held in Khotso house, Johannesburg. I got a media release in my mail box and the theme was:
SACC Vital Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
I first saw it on Facebook the same day. The deputy president, Michael Lapsley, had posted a short video with former General Secretary, Archbishop Desmond Mpilo Tutu dancing together with the acting General Secretary of the SACC, Bishop Malusi Mpumlwana.

It is very good. The council is needed. The vision is important and I hope that the council will be able to live up to it:
The council will stand as a prophetic voice that will speak truth to power and hold political leadership accountable to the citizens who vote them into power.
I am however, a bit surprised that I find very little news about this in media and also nothing on the website of the SACC. Hopefully this will change.

I would also like to see younger persons in the leadership as well as another gender balance.

Having said this I hope and pray that this initiative will be a blessing to South Africa as a nation. Especially to the poor!

No comments: