Sunday 29 June 2014

Another Sunday in Eastwood

The service had just started when I arrived about two minutes past nine. And the service finished already twenty minutes past ten. The sermon was not more than fifteen minutes. Amazing. A very short service! But soon I realized the reason.

When it was time for announcements we were told that Oupa Piet Witbooi was late. Such a nice, old man! He was from Bloemfontein and always greeted us in seTswana or seSotho. Almost ninety years old. He had been ill for some time so I don’t think it came as a surprise to anyone. Nevertheless, it was very good that I was present. It gave me an opportunity to show him and his family my (our) respect. I write ‘our’ because if I am there, my wife is also there and vice versa.

But the question remains: how could this explain the short service? Because, after the service, most of us went to the home of Oupa Witbooi. Around 25 persons squeezed into a room not more than 10 square meters big. I was asked to begin with an opening prayer. A bible text was read and our chairperson, Mr Sishi, preached. He took his point of departure in Luke 2:25-32. About old Simeon. Very appropriate.
Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation …
Mr Sishi and others spoke about Oupa. His humour, how he used to dance in church, how he made jokes with his children and grandchildren but most and foremost about his love for the church.

At the end of the short prayer support meeting, arrangements around the funeral were made. As he was also a good friend of the Pentecostals it was agreed that the Assembly of God should host Tuesday’s prayer meeting. Due to the size of the Lutheran church it was also agreed that a church from another denomination should be borrowed for the funeral this coming Saturday. From the family it was said that they wanted the Thursday prayer meeting to be an open service where people should feel free to give speeches, remembering Oupa. Saturday’s funeral service should, according to the family, only be a service of prayer, singing and preaching.

I like this totally natural approach to death. And the way arrangements are made in a room where so many people are present and it just goes very smoothly. My only regret is that we cannot take part in the funeral. But at least I (we) attended this first prayer support.

Mrs Prince reads Luke 2:25-32

No comments: