Monday 22 April 2013

Jacob Zuma - Bachelor of Theology


Tonight the College of Humanities held its graduation ceremony. I brought my gown, hood and cap and was placed first in the academic procession. Because I am the most junior lecturer! But that is OK!

A graduation is a long ceremony. I guess about 500 persons were conferred degrees or got their certificates. Some were not there so the whole event took just over 2 hours. Most of the time people were serious. But at one stage everyone was screaming and shouting. It was when Jacob Zuma collected his degree in Theology.

This young person can’t help that he’s got the same name as the president of South Africa. But one could see that he is used to this reaction. He just laughed, kneeled in front of the Chancellor, got his hood and left the stage.

I enjoyed being part of this. Last time I sat with the audience. This time I was on the stage with my colleagues. Most junior, but still a lecturer!


First in the procession the Mace is being carried. On top there is a secretary bird.




2 comments:

elisabet said...

Det är en lång väg att gå - att stiga i de akademiska graderna. Skönt att veta att detta egentligen bara är ett skådespel, samtidigt som det är en nog så viktig "rite de passage" för alla inblandade. I det mänskliga mötet har vi alla samma "grad" :-)

Anders Göranzon said...

Håller helt med, Elisabet. Idag har jag haft min första, egna lektion. Jag tog tid att försöka lära mig uttala alla namn. Framför allt på isiZulu kan det vara knepigt. Många skratt. (Med mig, inte åt mig!) Efteråt kom en student, som inte talar isiZulu och gav mig en fin eloge: "Jag har bott i Sydafrika hela mitt liv och Du kan uttala dessa namn bättre än jag!" I det mänskliga mötet kan vi bara göra så gott vi kan! Men det ärcker ofta mycket långt. Om vi bara vågar försöka!