Thursday 31 October 2013

Many identities

Of course it was a special occasion when the Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea (not the People’s Democratic Republic of Korea) addressed us. But it was another person who touched my heart this day. Yes, Mr Michel Sidibé (Excutive Director of UNAIDS) was excellent and said a number of very good things. So did also Dr Wedad Abbas Tawfik (A Coptic theologian from Egypt, member of the Circle of Concerned African Women Theologians) when she told us about the very serious situation in Egypt, referring to the Coptic Pope’s wish that the Christians should reach out to other Egyptians. Churches that have been burned down can be rebuilt, but not people who have been killed. I were also impressed by the Anglican Bishop Duleep Kamil de Chikera from Sri Lanka. Although I didn’t think that the terminology of “victim’s theology” was helpful, his ideas were definitely so. He suggested that the WCC should include the ritual of washing of feet in the assemblies, since the sharing of Eucharist is not possible.

The perspective that stood out was Mrs Mélisande Shifter, a young theologian from Germany. Her mother is a Buddhist from Asia and her father Christian (from Germany, I guess). She said, that many young people have this mixture of different cultural and religious identities. She did not argue for some sort of syncretism, oh no! She was a very outspoken Christian person. But at the same time she did not reject her origin. It touched me. I think she is a good example of the whole Council of Churches. An ecumenical movement with many identities - and they live together. (Unfortunately I wasn't able to take a picture of her!)

When the moderator thanked her and said that the Church has nothing to fear for the future with such young persons present, it was of course a nice comment. But I do not like when we reduce young people to agents in the future. They are here now. They belong to the church today! And they are a vital part of the church in discernment and decision-making.

The bible study this morning was contextual and powerful. The Taizé lunch prayer was wonderful. An opportunity to get some rest in a packed programme. After a short lunch I attended the second business plenary. In the tea and coffee break I ran to the SHe-space in the Madang to help out with the serving of tea.


Gleeson, from Trinidad & Tobago and I serve tea to the thirsty.

Thereafter i want to the first of four gatherings with the ecumenical conversation I belong to and it is called:
Community of women and men in the church: mutual recognition and transformative justice.
I will most probably come back to this. After that we had regional meetings. I attended the one for Europe, where we were told that our Archbishop Anders Wejryd is nominated as President for Europe (well not the EU but for the WCC region in Europe.) He stands a good chance to be elected.

The evening prayer was also a highlight. In the orthodox tradition, led by the Ecumenical Patriarchate Orthodox Metropolis of Korea. We took part in the service of Artoklasia, which means that bread is blessed and shared with everyone. It’s not the Holy Eucharist. It is very inclusive and typically enough it was rice-bread.


In front of the altar a number of baskets filled with the bread made of rice, to remind us of Jesus, who multiplied five loves of bread to feed the people in the wilderness.

The last part of the day was dinner with all the specialized services in the World Council of Churches, which means faith based organizations (FBO’s) working with development aid, relief and advocacy.

I left the hotel 7.30 and was back 22.00 – the days are long but I will probably only do this once I my lifetime, so I’d better suck out as much as I can.

A few minutes ago the WCC news show for the second day was broadcasted on youtube. I am in it. About 10 minutes into the programme. Here's the link.




No comments: