Tuesday 14 September 2010

Still in shock

A quarter past one I was alone outside the room, where the defence was to take place. The door was looked. Then came my pomoter, Professor Strauss, and we went to his office. He wanted to comfort me before the big moment. At 13h30 we went together to the venue for the defence and then more than 25 people were already there. Family, friends and relatives. It all started with the Dean of Faculty opening the occasion with prayer. Professor Strauss introduced me and I got 10-15 minutes to introduce my thesis. After that I actually got an opponent, who spent about 30 minutes asking me questions. At one stage I made a serious mistake. He quoted me having written something, which I did not remember. So I questioned it and he referred to the actual passage and I became at bit lost. At that very stage one of my role models, Bishop emeritus, Dr Michael Nthuping, entered the room, half an hour late. But that was my resque. It gave me some time to think of an answer and the defence continued.
After the opponent, who is a South African studying to become a Doctor of Theology in the Netherlands, had finished about four or five of the professors put there questions. I enjoyed it. And my wife, sister and brothers say that I managed well.
The Dean closed the defence and we went down to the tea room. After five minutes the professors arrived and congratulated me. But I am still not a Doctor. In Afrikaans they say I am "amper doktor" (meaning almost doctor). Only on Wednesday, at the graduation, my promoter will conferr the doctorate to me. But I am almost there now!
In the evening we were 21 persons at a wonderful restaurant. 7 on Kellner. From different ages, ethnic groups and continents. When my wife gave her speech and asked us all to raise and sing the South African Anthem in four different languages my happiness was total.
Glory be to God! Eer aan God! Tlotlo a ene ya Modimo!

3 comments:

mojtaj said...

Vi gläds och snyftar...

Unknown said...

Hi Anderson thanx for the wonderful tribute for my Father. Regards Mike Nthuping

Anders Göranzon said...

Thanks for your comment. Your father meant a lot to me! /Anders