Monday 22 June 2015

Bittersweet

It is sad! At the same time it is nice. Bittersweet! I am talking about the time to say goodbye.

Two weeks ago I preached at the Lutheran Theological Institute. After the service there was a short program with students and colleagues saying nice things. And so a present. After that vote of thanks. Many hugs. Some tears.

One and a half week ago the School of Religion, Philosophy and Classics arranged tea for the staff. My wife and I had baked cakes. A nice speech from the Dean, some singing and a chance for me to say a few words about the time at the School.

Yesterday I preached in the Lutheran Church at Eastwood. It has not been part of my job description to lead services there from time to time. The same with my wife, who has made other contributions to the life of the church.

The way the congregation thanked us was overwhelming. This has been our spiritual home during 2½ years. The Sunday School had prepared a drama, the youth sang. The Women’s league did that as well. After some persuasion from the oldest member, Mrs Dolphin, the fathers also delivered an item.

My colleague, Rev. Kholiwe Biyela, spoke with warmth. Yes, it was in deed touching.

We were also given very nice outfits, to wear in Sweden. These are typical modern Zulu outfits.

We really appreciate all the farewells – each one in their own right!

We often say that South Africa is our second home country. This means that we will be back!



Some dancing was necessary!


No comments: