Sunday 7 June 2015

Economical apartheid

When I was 20 I came to South Africa the first time. Apartheid was still a reality. In the legislation and in praxis! I remember one time, when I went to the post office in Athlone (or was it a police station?) and tried to enter through the entrance with a sign:
Non-whites only
Someone stopped me and I had to go to the other door. But I came in and found myself in the same room as people who had used the other door. The only difference was that I was in another queue.

Apartheid is no longer part of the South African constitution. In reality South Africa has a long way to go, before reaching equality.

When I go to hospital I am aware that many others cannot afford to go to a private hospital and end up in a long queue again. In the state hospital! Sometimes the private and the state hospital are neighbours. It feels as if very little has happened.

When I flew with British airways from >Sweden to South Africa last week a similar thing happened. Different queues. (Yes, it happens in every airline!)

Of course the person who is prepared to pay more is entitled to get a bigger seat. I understand that. But why are different queues needed? The people in business class will not leave before the rest of us?

British Airways even takes it to another level. The sign for those in the fast track have such a big sign but the rest of us have a tiny little one.

We understand!

But of course, I am still among the privileged few that get to travel by air at all. I know that.

"First, Club World, Club Europe, Business UK
and Executive Club." People who don't share queue
with the rest of us.
This sign says: "General Boarding"
and is rather difficult to see.

No comments: