Sunday 19 July 2015

Tanzania 3

Saturday was a lazy day. We needed that. We still managed to take a tour to Arusha and enjoy another café – Africafé.

On Sunday we went back to Arusha and attended the second service in one of the Lutheran churches. The service was in Swahili. A man, who was doing his internship in the congregation, sat next to us during the sermon and translated.

After the service a few items were sold in an auction. This is common practice. People may bring vegetables or groceries for the Sunday collection, if they don’t have money.

In the evening we were invited to another Lutheran pastor, whom I had met in Nairobi. We had a few problems in finding the way to the home of Ruth and Ezekiel. Thank you God, for the mobile phone! Especially as African sunset comes rather fast.

Again we got very nice, traditional food. And a masala tea, which was really tasty! Dag, my wife and I tried to figure out the ingredients. I said cinnamon. My wife continued with cardamom. Dag added ginger. When we read on the packet, it said:
Ingredients: Cinnamon, cardamom, ginger.
We got the tea when we arrived. At the same time their son, Samuel, five years old, came in. He went to my wife and lowered his head. After some instructions she understood that she was supposed to touch his head, to complete the greeting.

Samuel approaches my wife, who wants to shake his hand.
The correct thing, however, is to place the hand on his head.
We were also presented with gifts. My wife got a beautiful Maasai cloth. I got a belt with a proverb attached. The Maasai people tell a person to tighten his/her belt before a demanding task or challenge.

So, I will take this advice and tighten my belt, when I return to Sweden and take the next step on my life's journey.

No comments: