Tuesday 17 October 2023

World Assembly – Final day

After a long and engaging day, the World Assembly has come to an end. I could write a long blog post about this gathering but tonight I will only share a few things. We had some business meetings in the morning. We made a statement and took some decisions about how the United Bible Societies will navigate the coming few years. We resolved to continue with Bible translation and making the Bible available both digitally and in printed format.

But what fills my heart this evening is the fellowship with sisters and brothers from all over the globe. Especially during the dinner when people from Africa gathered in the hall and formed a procession and started to sing and dance. I directly felt that I had to join the group. A saying from the founding father of Ghana, Kwame Nkrumah, came to me:

I am not African because I was born in Africa but because Africa was born in me.

So, it felt natural to be part of the African group tonight.

Tomorrow I will leave Egmond aan Zee and begin my journey back home. It has been an intense week. But a very good week.

No comments: